Traveling: How to Get Started

WARNING: This post only has one picture...but it's a funny one.

When I think about when I started getting serious about traveling I remember being so overwhelmed and having no idea where to start. Luckily, I had worked with a travel nurse at Scott and White and he gave me his recruiter's number. Then, multiple anxiety attacks, lots of stress, and two months later I finally got my first travel gig with a completely different recruiter and travel company. I thought it would be nice to write out a nice, simple list to help y'all that are thinking about traveling get started with the process.

1. Have a travel nurse friend? Ask them for the name, number, and email of their recruiter. 
This is by far the fastest way to getting on the road. Who's mine? Oh, her name's Cait (comment/email/text me for her info) and she works for American Mobile. She's seriously the best recruiter EVER. Once you get in contact with them they'll tell you specifically what to do and BAM you're done. Don't know anybody?? Proceed to Step 2. (Except you're lying cause HELLO! You know me!)

2. Get online and expect to spend a couple hours researching travel agencies. I'll make it easy for ya, here's a website that has tallied all the agencies' benefits (housing, 401K, free health insurance, etc). And don't weed out the ones that don't have all 21 syringes, American Mobile has 16 and is still a GREAT company to work for. If nothing else this website provides a pretty impressive list of travel nurse agencies.

3. Apply/send your information to at least 3 travel companies. A recruiter should contact you shortly after applying.
Be prepared to fill out skillz checklist after skillz checklist. Yes, the "z" was on purpose. The more companies that have your info the better, this means you have a lot more location/money options. And just to keep you from freaking out, you're not committed as of yet. You're just getting more people on your side, that's all. This step could potentially be done pretty far out, like a couple of months before you want to start.

4. Have a list of every question you can think of about money, housing, locations, etc.

5. Answer the phone when you get a call from an outside area.
This will most likely be your new recruiter! Now ask 'em all those questions you have and they will explain to you how to proceed. (Side note: you're still not committed till you actually have an assignment and you give the recruiter the go ahead to accept.)

SEE! You can get started in as little as ONE STEP...or five...but ONE because you know me! I suggest every. single. nurse take a travel assignment even if it's just one. Travel nursing has been the most rewarding, fun, and challenging I've ever done and I truly believe I am a better nurse and person because of it. SO JUST BITE THE BULLET AND DO IT ALREADY! You won't regret it.

Ohhhhh but it is...haha...it should say not a LEGAL indication :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!