Howdy Houston!!

Welp, we made it back into the great state of Texas. I know it's been a while, and yes, we're all still alive. Transitioning to a new place is pretty hard and at least for the first few weeks lots of time is dedicated to getting to know our new area and my new hospital.

OUR PLACE is way bigger than our last few spots and it's only 1.5 miles from my hospital. Being back in Texas certainly has it's perks, like a bigger apartment, free covered parking, and cheaper groceries! Whoop! Oh...and Blue Bell...Lord, have mercy on me, the Blue Bell. I lost count of how many pints I've eaten all by myself at number 7. I'm not proud, but it happened and it's out in the open now so I must move on and try to do better! Haha!

I'm not proud, but I'm not sorry.

Pearl likes the new apartment too, especially the low windows.

MY HOSPITAL is seriously the biggest hospital I've worked for. It's 19 stories!! Of sick kids!! Holy cow it's so stinkin' big. AANNDD there are like tons of food courts! And a Chipotle...like...right down stairs. It's oh so accessible. Instead of getting a 15 minute break and a 30 minute lunch they do one 45 minute lunch which is actually kind of nice. One actually has time to masticate their lunch versus just swallowing it all whole. And let me be honest here, at this hospital I NEED a 45 minute break. The hospital is great but dang I'm running my butt off the entire 12 hours! Literally! I haven't been monitoring my eating at all but I've still lost 4 pounds since moving here. I'm attributing that to the 36 hours a week of running at work plus workouts on my days off. Also, when there is no down time there is no snacking. 

Waiting for charge to write my assignment on the board.

This is one of 3 cows that greet the kids coming into the clinic!

OUR AREA is great! We live in an older part of Houston and the houses are big and beautiful. And unlike in California, Houston rich folk like to show off their monstrosities and not hide them behind tall, concrete walls. I'm perfectly content just riding around, looking at houses and seeing how much they're worth on my Zillow app. I have to say, settling down in Texas makes so much more sense when I can by a mansion for a million or two versus a small cottage on a corner lot in south Burbank.  Also, we live right by one of Houston's many bayous. Specifically Bray's Bayou, it's pretty neat but only when you've got a running/biking buddy...or if you're a dude, dudes probably don't have any problems running by themselves. 

Walking down the bayou.

My initial feelings about Houston are better than I expected. It's great getting to see friends and family we haven't seen in a while, some in years. I've loved catching up with old friends and seeing how we've all changed so much. It's almost like getting new friends! We've already had our first sets of visitors! The first were Ryan's parents the weekend we moved in. The second were Lauren and Nathan, two of our best friends from Temple. They completely surprised us on my day off! 

Had to bring 'em to our favorite waterin' hole :)

With all that said, I have to say I'm missing San Diego pretty badly. I've never connected with a place quite like that before. I miss the weather, the hospital, my coworkers, our sweet friends, and the beach. More than anything I miss having a safe place to run as far as I want right outside my door step. It made running so easy, having the beach as a distraction made it fun. The bayou just doesn't quite cut it. 

Also, it's not very fun telling people you're from Texas...when you're in Texas...I guess I'll get over that. Haha! But, we're very excited to be "home" for a couple more months and seeing even more friends and family! WE'VE MISSED YOU!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!