How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

Part I was the biggie. Having a positive working experience greatly effects overall satisfaction with travel nursing. In this post I'm going to list a few other things you can do to ensure you have the best possible time seeing the states!

HAVE REALISTIC HOUSING EXPECTATIONS
You really can't expect to live in luxury housing everywhere you go. In my four assignments I've taken my company's housing 3 times. The first was great! the second was eh, and the third was average. Every apartment we had was safe, clean, and close to the hospital. And to be honest, the second place was probably better than "eh" but the first apartment set high expectations. Those'll get ya. It'll all depends on what city you're in and the cost of living. The cost of living in a "luxury" 2 bedroom apartment in Texas is the same month's rent as a grungy studio in LA (note: we did not live in a grungy studio in LA).

START MAKING FRIENDS RIGHT AWAY
Sometimes this can be hard at work but you'll figure out who you click with right away and don't hesitate to ask to hang out outside of work. I always do this way too late and then it's almost time for us to leave. Also make sure to join a gym or bootcamp, these are always a great way to make friends. Finding a church is also a GREAT idea. We made lasting friendships at our church in LA. Absolutely loved it and can't imagine my life without knowing these people. Shout out to St. Matt's!!

DON'T BE A HERMIT
The task of taking on a new city and finding fun things to do can be overwhelming. Quite frankly some days it's easier to just sit on the couch and watch TV than Google "things to do in San Diego" one more time. Couch days are just fine but make sure you are getting out and seeing the city you're in! Our favorite things to do are hitting the major "touristy things", hiking, and, of course, trying new types of food and restaurants.

GO WITH A FRIEND OR SIGNIFICANT OTHER
While this is not necessary to gave a great time it definitely helps. Having someone to go with helps with homesickness and getting you off the couch and out of the apartment. Fear not if you go by yourself, you'll make plenty of work friends. Don't let this deter you from going.

ADD TOUCHES FROM HOME TO YOUR APARTMENT
Bring a photo album or photo or two from home. You can spare the room in your car for that and it'll make your "home away from home" feel much more comfortable. Ryan and I even have a couple of little Texas decorations that we take with us and put out. Go ahead a spend the couple bucks on that candle or that potted plant. You can always give it away before you leave if you can't take it with you.

Welp, this concludes my info on travel nursing for a bit. As always, if you have any questions or want recruiter contact info just let me know. I don't mind one bit.

I can't handle leaving this without pictures so here's a little nursing humor for ya!


Comments

  1. Thank you for these tips. I'm in school and have already started scrounging travel blogs for info and love these ideas. I will be traveling on my own most of the time so the "don't be a hermit" is something to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome!! Good luck with nursing school!

    I didn't say this in the post but orientation is a great place to make new friends right off the bat. You'll be just fine. :) Let me know if you have any questions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for responding to both my posts. I would love to discuss traveling more with you if you wouldn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! Feel free to email me at courtni.sladek@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Chi Town!

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!