How To Be a Happy Traveler PART I

Obviously, as with every job, there are ups and downs to travel nursing. Let me start off by saying there are TONS more ups, but the downs can weigh kind of heavily sometimes...mainly if you're home sick, it's a holiday, or your girlmones are going cray...or all of the above. Ha! During my second assignment in Los Angeles I completely changed my attitude towards traveling and it has really helped me become a happier traveler and happier person in general.

I just got news that the last two weeks of this assignment I'll be switching to night shift (boo). So excuse me while I talk it out and give myself a pep talk. I'll let you in on some ideas that will make your travel experience exponentially better.

LOWER YOUR EXPECTATIONS A LITTLE and BE REALISTIC
(this doesn't mean work is going to suck)

Negative Nancy: If you've been an inpatient nurse for any length of time you've probably worked with a traveler. Did you see their assignments? Yeah, they weren't pretty sometimes. As a traveler you're gonna get THAT patient or the ones that are going to transfer out (yay, potentially two admissions.) Oh, and you're typically the first one to float. These people have not been working with you for years and don't know how oh-so-experienced you are, so naturally they're not going to give you the patient on ECMO. Over time they'll begin to trust you and give you better assignments. 

Also, most places self schedule (great!) but they'll move you first to accommodate their numbers (lame). This should be expected and not something you gripe about (right, I'll have to remember that when I'm sleep walking at work in a few weeks). Just remember the reason why there are travel nurses. Hospitals all across the country are short staffed and you are there to help them out, not be super nurse who saves the day and gets all the perks of being permanent staff (unless it's a potluck, you definitely get in on the food haha!).

Positive Patty: Every unit is different and will have needs that vary throughout the assignment.
Without sounding too insensitive, there are sometimes patient assignments that can wear nurses down. It may be physically trying, emotionally trying, family drama, or all of the above with one or more patients. It's not fair that any one nurse, traveler or staff, get these assignments for weeks in a row. As a traveler know that those assignments will come to you, sometimes frequently. But also know that you have a voice and if at anytime you're feeling tired or burned out let the charge know. They know what's up and they can help you out.

Floating. Depending on the unit and census you might float 0-2 shifts a week. More if the census is low, less if it is high...it works that way everywhere. The hospitals where you float more often it gets better because you eventually get comfortable in that unit and begin to make friends there. Even though floating is like. the. worst. as staff, it really isn't that bad as a traveler. You change hospitals every 3 months, so changing units every now and then isn't such a big deal and you adjust much easier. 

Another great thing about being a traveler (at least in Cali) is that most permanent staff like to work the major holidays because they usually get double time and a half (I'll retire here I think haha). That means you're less likely to work. Last year I had Thanksgiving, Christmas, AND New Years off. This year I only have to work Christmas. I feel like that's a pretty sweet deal.

I actually started traveling with these expectations beginning with my very first assignment so I've never really had a problem with my patient assignments or floating. I just know it comes with the territory. I get to live at the beach for 6 months with amazing weather and a view of the ocean from our apartment building...I guess I can work 6 night shifts. Ugh. It's what the unit needs right?! Right.

I'll try Michelle, I'll really try.

Long story short: You're gonna get the short end of the stick sometimes but the overall experience is worth it times a thousand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!