Livin' That Desert Life

Well, hey party people! I was so worried about not sleeping that I couldn't sleep! So here we are! I decided to make 2:23am productive -- welcome my blog post about Phoenix (and the surrounding areas).

Initially, I thought Phoenix would just be a dry, flat desert with the occasional tumbleweed, but I was  wrong! This city is beautiful with mountains in, and surrounding, the city. There are trees galore...not really grass...but tons of trees and cacti. Fun Fact: palm trees, which are all over Phoenix are not native to the area (makes sense when you think about it, they seem like they belong, ha!). They are seriously ev-ry-where-uh. There's art all over the place too! We've visited the Heard Museum which displays Native American art and we went to many galleries in Scottsdale. Most recently we visited the Art Museum at Arizona State and enjoyed a couple of exhibits of Mexican art. We've LOVED it here! We have 6 weeks left and intend to fill it with more art and adventures! Next week we're going to spend a few days visiting a friend in San Diego. I'm so stoked to be returning to my soul city. I haven't seen a beautiful, salty, sandy beach in over a year and I'm longing to smell that yummy ocean breeze. Then, we've got a desert mountain boon docking trip in the books and an overnight stay in Flagstaff for some slot canyon hiking and sight seeing. So many things! Y'all, this job is really making me work for my money. It's been nice to have all of these activities to do on my days off to destress a little. See how well it's working? I can't sleep because I'm worrying about not sleeping! And I don't even work tomorrow. What the heck?! 

Anyway, hey look at these pictures!

My own precious little cactus! Fingers crossed by brown thumbs keep it alive.

Our first boon docking experience! We did some dispersed camping in Prescott National Forest for my 30th birthday.

I'll call this one: "Outtake No. Four"

Beautiful mountain sunset

Saguaro cacti are YUGE! 

Visited Goldfield, a little mining town turned ghost town turned tourist trap - and it sucked us right in! 

View from Tortilla Flats, a little stop along the Apache Trail

Cliff dwellings in Tonto National Forest

Neato!

Most of the Apache Trail to Roosevelt Dam is a windy, gravel road. That was fun at first, then the washboards started and I was done. 

It's safe to assume that I'm obsessed with cactus. All of them. Look how fluffy the one in the foreground is!! Look, don't touch. Ha!

I know this last six weeks will zoom by. My recruiter is already looking for my next assignment. I love this part of the whole traveling thing. Winding down at my current location and anxiously waiting to see where the next leg of our journey will take us. Stay tuned!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

Hello Chi Town!

It's New Assignment Time Again!!!