Wrapping Up Our Weeks in Music City

Man, this assignment has been rough. I really want to moan and complain about how much I hate night shift and it makes me grumpy and sad and wahwahwahwah. But nobody likes a Negative Nelly especially ones who didn't have to endure a hurricane and a week of rain and flooding. So please excuse me while I....

***ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT***

Alright! First, let me say how thankful I am that all my family and friends on the Gulf Coast and in Houston are safe. My heart aches with those who have been displaced, lost belongings, houses, vehicles, animals, and everything else that has value whether monetary or emotional. We got a little, tiny taste of Harvey tonight as it rolled through Nashville and the tornado warnings alone were enough to send into an anxious crazy person-and it's only been here a day! I just can't even fathom what it must have felt like to sit and wait and watch and worry day after day after day. And then! while it was still raining some of y'all were already out helping others! Y'all are superheroes - amazing human beings! I will continue to send all the positive vibes as the clean up/rebuild process begins. 

***

I'm still driving that night shift struggle bus but I think poor Ryan has finally gotten used to all my mood swings. Ha! In between all of my self pitying and wallowing we've actually gotten out and done some pretty awesome things. We've spent a lot of time with our friends, logged hours and hours of live classic country music, visited a mansion, and went to a show at the Grand Ole Opry! We've absolutely loved the live music. We can go anywhere downtown and listen to bands made of up professional musicians that have played with some of our favorite country artists like Jerry Reed and Vince Gill. Seriously, one can go at four in the afternoon any day of the week and BOOM the sweet sounds of Merle and Loretta fill the air. Also, $2.50 beers and bologna sandwiches - yes, please! Ryan's convinced this is his soul city. I definitely LOVE this city but we still have more places to see! I still get FOMO when I think about settling down. When/if that feeling goes away then Nashville is a top contender, if not THE top contender, of cities where we'd like to put down our roots. I just can't commit yet.

We're reaching that time in the assignment where our future is up in the air. I'm currently working on finding a new location with my recruiter but staying here on DAY SHIFT is also an option. So we'll see. My pants ants are in conflict with the more stable option. But like I said, we'll see.

The only photographic evidence of our return to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. The Loretta Lynn exhibit opened that day and was amazing! 

Rachel Hester and the Tennessee Walkers at Robert's Western World on Broadway - the electric guitar player switched back and forth between guitar and steel guitar on every song! This is an example of an entire band made up of members who played with big country musicians. The bassist played with Vince Gill - the drummer and electric guitar players played with big people too but I can't remember who. We sat and listened to them for about 3 hours. 👌

Ryan making his own print at Hatch Show Print - they've been making those posters since the late 1800's and they use all of the original printing presses. This press is from the 1950's.

Doing some eclipse watching with a few of our Tuesday Night Potluck group - I had to work that night so I went out in my pajamas to see it real quick then ran back in for more sleep - which is why I'm not included in the photo. Ha!

We got to see Connie Smith, "Whispering" Bill Anderson, Clare Bowen and other artists at the Grand Ole Opry. 

An -almost- exact replica of the Parthenon! It's an art museum inside and absolutely lovely.

The Belmont Mansion at Belmont University - the tour was filled with interesting facts about the University's namesake and the campus was gorgeous. 

Ernest Tubbs tour bus - it's in a random little store at strip mall by Ryan's work - it was like stepping back in time.

And last but not least - June being a little weird and a lotta cute

We'll be heading back to Texas for a couple weeks after this assignment regardless of whether or not I resign in Nashville. We look forward to getting back to the Lone Star State! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!