Interview Questions


Interviewing for a new job every three months can be stressful. After five years of traveling I still get revved up and anxious during an interview.  It's nerve wracking and exciting all at the same time. Here are a few questions I always ask to contribute to the interview and help me get a better feel for the unit I'm interviewing for.

What is the nursing chain of command?
For example, is there a charge nurse? Is he or she a free charge? Is there or are there resource nurses? What about the manager/director positions? How are they organized? Are you (the manger/director) on the unit frequently or at night? These questions can help get a sense of who you'll have as a resource on the unit and how involved you can expect management to be. Usually you just have to ask that first question and they'll offer all that other info without you having to ask.

What is the doctor chain of command?
It this a teaching hospital? Are there residents, fellows, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants? Who is on at night? If it's only attendings, are they available in house 24/7? Once again, knowing your resources is important.

Why is your unit requiring travelers?
The answer to this could be as simple as the fact that they've had a few nurses finish an advanced degree and are no longer working bedside. Or that 5 of their nurses are going out on maternity leave around the same time. Or it could be dramatic or political in nature, you just never know. Whatever the answer to this question was, it has never kept me from taking an assignment but it's nice to know what kind of environment you'll be walking into. I've found that units I was nervous to go to were actually awesome and welcoming and vice versa. Like I said, it's just good to know.

How is the unit set up?
Are there pods and nurse's stations or computer cubbies between rooms? How many beds in the unit? Hospital? Are they private or bays? Obviously this gives you a better idea of what the unit looks like and prepare for any issues that might be caused by a particular set up. For example, a unit having three pods but only two med rooms, or having to go across the entire unit to get to the only clean supply room.

What are the staffing ratios on the unit?
This is pretty self explanatory. I work in the Pediatric ICU so our staffing ratios are always 1:2 or 3 if there are step down patients. However, on the floors this can vary greatly so always ask so you can be prepared. 

Will I have to float? If so, to what units?
I've been to some units that are self staffing so no one ever has to float (which was awesome). In most units though, travelers will be floated if the unit is over staffed. This is very common and should be expected. Knowing what units they expect you to float to is important. Sometimes they may expect you to float to a unit in which you don't have experience and that is something you'll want to make sure they're aware of. If you're willing to orient then great, if not they'll need that info when deciding if you're what will best help the unit. I've found that most units will take you regardless, I've never been turned down for a job because I didn't have experience in a unit I -might- float to.

What computer charting system do you use?
Once again, pretty self explanatory. It helps to know what charting the hospital uses so that you're prepared when you get there. Once you've traveled for a while it's not that important it's just good to know. 

If an interview is going well or they've already offered the position I then always ask about the uniform, shift times, and number of orientation shifts. Obviously I always want to be in compliance with the dress code (I can't stand confrontation) and knowing shift times helps me plan my route to work before the first day.

I hope these help! If you have questions that you like to ask during an interview, or have questions about the questions, then please feel free to share in the comments!


HAPPY TRAVELING!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!