Travel Company Questions

I've received a lot of emails recently asking about what questions to ask when speaking with a travel company for the first time. Since I've written about four emails that were long enough to be a book I figured I'd post my favorite questions to ask here - since I guess this is a travel nurse blog and all.
- - - -
Of course the most important question: "How much am I going to make?" 

Like with everything in life it's complicated. I wish travel companies could streamline this process so that it was easier to understand. Simply put, travel companies have a set amount of money they are going to give you and they divide it up into a few different areas. Housing, hourly, meals or per diem, and travel reimbursement are the main ones you'll see. Some companies have more, others may have less, or they may be worded differently. You'll also notice companies present this information to you in different ways. Some will lump it all together and give you a big "hourly" rate, others will just give you specific amounts for each category. No matter how the information is presented I always calculate how much my monthly income will be. This helps me compare company offers by using one specific number. However you choose to do so, always have a way to organize the info so you can make the best educated decision on your first or next assignment. Remember that pay is going to fluctuate according to city and state the assignment is in.

That's probably the most important question. Sure life's not all about money, but if you end up saying yes to an assignment with a company that doesn't pay you enough you'll be crying through all the way through your 30 pack of ramen.

If you've made it past the money question here are a few more to ask:

If taking their housing-is it furnished? 
Most companies will furnish furniture but you are responsible for supplying your own kitchen items and linens. I prefer my company to supply my kitchenwares and linens because it's less for me to pack. Some companies supply those for free, others charge a monthly fee.

Does your company pay weekly or biweekly?
Not super important, you're gonna get your money regardless. Once I started getting paid weekly, I was rather fond of it and while this would never be a deal breaker it's good to know.

How much do you pay for travel reimbursement?
In my experience I've noticed that most travel companies offer $500 travel reimbursement in between assignments. However, I've heard of some companies offering up to $1000.

Do you offer a 401k?
Most companies do offer a 401k however a lot of the time it's up to you to make sure it gets set up. Unlike with a permanent staff orientation no one is going to go over all of your options and help you fill out the paperwork. I learned this the hard way and missed out on 3 years of contributing to retirement. So through all of the paperwork mumbo jumbo when initially getting started with a new company don't forget about your retirement.

How much is health insurance? 
Just like with any other job, some companies pay for your insurance so it's completely free for you. Others will provide you with company insurance but you have to pay for it. My current company pays for my health insurance but we pay a discounted rate for the hubs. 

Do you offer PTO? 
This question is optional unless this is something that appeals greatly to you. Most companies don't offer any type of PTO or sick leave. However, I'm hearing of more and more companies that are offering it with certain qualifications. For example, you must work for the company for a whole year to start accruing or you must take a year long assignment to accrue. Don't let the no-PTO thing get you though, while it's nice to have it's not necessary when traveling. You'll be able to take time off between assignments to vacation (you'll just have to save $$ for it). Also, I've found most unit schedulers are really helpful when trying to get specific days off. If you already know specific days you'll need off when you interview you can request those days off in your contract.

Kind of in relation to this topic, I also get asked if you can work with more than one company at a time. The answer is yes AND no. Yes, you can be in contact with as many companies as you want. When it's time to find your first or new contract by all means call around and ask these questions to as many companies as you want to see which company is going to work best with you. But once you verbally accept a contract you are bound to that company for the duration of the contract. It's typically in bad taste to verbally accept a contract then bail because another company offered something better. In fact some agencies won't work with you if you play those games. The excuse "but I haven't signed anything" doesn't really sit well with most companies**. So if you give your word stick with it (unless it's an emergency).

If you have any questions regarding this post or travel nursing in general please let me know. I know its's a lot of info and getting started seems intimidating at first but trust me it's easy!


**Disclaimer: In saying that, once you've verbally accepted a job, ALWAYS read your contract before you sign it. If you and the nurse manager or your recruiter discussed something specific like days off or a bonus, always make sure you read through your contract and make sure it's there before you sign. Some companies/recruiters will make good on their word regardless but ultimately it's up to you to protect yourself. In that sense "but I haven't signed anything" will work for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!