Boi-SEE, Not Boi-ZEE

Since before we got to Idaho we had friends telling us we just had to go to Boise. A couple of people even compared it to Austin (that was a bit of a stretch😬). So we put it at the top of our list and and we booked our Airbnb. When I say 'we' I mean Ryan and when I say 'Airbnb" I mean yurt. When he sent me the page the yurt was beautiful and seemed fun at the time so I immediately said yes. Just FYI for those looking into staying in a yurt...there are no bathrooms in a yurt. Therefore you must trek outside in sub 40 degree weather across the yard and into the far back of a garage in the dark, or at least we had to. I'm sure not all yurts are created equal.

After 4 hours of driving we finally arrived in Boise around lunchtime. We had a delicious lunch at Bittercreek Alehouse and then walked around the 8th Street area.

Freak Alley Gallery-an alley covered in beautiful art
End of Freak Alley
"Checking in" to our yurt
Horrible photo of the Idaho State Capitol building with red light

Next we visited Old Idaho State Penitentiary. It opened in 1872 and didn't close until 1973. It opened before Idaho was even a state. Eventually it was a couple of riots that ended in a couple of the buildings getting burned down that closed it. 

I got to lock Ryan into one of the jail cells :)
He was also brave enough to stand on the hanging platform. I was playing around with the lever and didn't realize it was still functional...oops. I mean, I wouldn't have pulled it but ya know...I probably wouldn't have even touched it if I knew it worked. 😳
Ryan being a creep in one of the isolation cells.

That evening we had all you can eat sushi and went a comedy show. A great end to a great day! The next day we went back to the 8th Street area and had brunch, then visited a couple of breweries. Needless to say it was quite a yummy weekend. Lastly, we went and picked up the pups from the pet hotel and spent a few doll hairs at the Pendleton outlet. I would highly suggest Boise for an amazing summer getaway. The city has lots of things to do and places to eat and drink. Plus it's really close to mountains for tons of outdoor entertainment, plus it is also on the Snake River.

Had our yurt had a bathroom, running water, and a decent heater for this Texas girl I think I'd have called that a perfect weekend!

Up next: SHOSHONE FALLS!

Comments

  1. Hello!
    I stumbled upon your blog while searching 'travel nursing'. I'm a college student in my third year at my JC (long time, I know, but I changed my major a number of times...) Anyway, I've felt pulled toward nursing several times and recently have felt called, intrigued, and passionate about pediatric nursing. And the fact that there is such a thing as travel nursing...?! Too good to be true.
    Love that you have this blog and can't wait to read more of your adventures!

    -McKenna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!