There's No Place Like Home...

...And we're building ours on wheels! Ryan and I have decided to build a tiny house! So no, I'm not pregnant for the millionth time! Can everyone (probably just my mom) just stop wishing that on us already and just give up?! :)

Ryan and I have been doing our research (read: watching days worth of HGTV and YouTube videos) for the past couple of months and tonight we sealed the deal. Like with any big life decision we make, we spit shook on it.
There's spit in there!

Ryan's got a few more hours invested than I do. He's actually lost sleep over it, like an entire night. I had to work the next day and and got a hot breakfast out of the deal. WINNING. We're like, actually doing this. We have a lender, the company we're buying the plans and trailer from, Ryan has the floor plans all drawn up, and I'm working on getting my next assignment in a tiny house building friendly location, AND I've gone into a Home Depot...and no one had to drag me. I went willingly, I wanted to, I even felt...excited! Who am I!? I don't even know this person I've turned into!

Now that Ryan and I have been traveling for 4 years we've started to want something more permanent. But the thought of settling down sent me into a nasty fit that ended with me tachycardic, hyperventilating and sobbing into Ryan's arms one night. As it turns out, where most people have anxiety about moving, I have extreme anxiety about settling down. A couple of months ago we discovered tiny houses and knew that this was for us. A tiny home will give us that consistency that we desire in a living space but not limit us to where we live. We love the idea of not have a 30 year mortgage and living minimally. Our desire is to travel and have new experiences and we believe that this is the best way to achieve that.
Luckily Ryan has art skillz. It's not really to scale...at all
...but you get the jist.

Now, before y'all bombard us with all of these concerns about our tiny house ambitions just know that we've thought of everything. Yes, we know how small it is. If it's damaged it'll be insured and I'll just use company housing until it is repaired. We'll out run tornado weather. Yes, we'll have a place for guests to sleep. Yes, we'll have a full size kitchen and a farmhouse sink (I'm standing firm on that one). No, the bathroom is NOT by the kitchen. And finally yes, is IS in fact, Ryan's job to dispose of the contents of the composting toilet - Google it.

We've decided that we like "shed style" tiny homes best when it comes to floor plans and over all look. We're going with a company called hOMe Tiny Houses. They provide all the plans to build the house yourself (and hopefully with the help of my dad) all the way down to the laundry list of everything you need to buy. It's really important to Ryan that he do a lot of the building so hopefully our little house WILL actually outrun a tornado.

This is the hOMe Tiny House that we'll be modeling our's after. It will be on wheels as well but have much bigger windows...and a little more character. :) You can check out www.tinyhousebuild.com to get a more specific info and see a lot more pictures. This will just be a guide, we're going to personalize it to fit our specific style.

Ryan gave me a glimpse into his journal this evening so I thought I'd end with his thoughts on tiny living.

"I am building a tiny house to escape from expectations, to experiment cautiously with what is necessity and what is superfluous, to take my financial future into my own hands, and to literally make a home for my wife and myself. I am building a tiny home to get closer to nature, to be free from the rent trap, to enjoy life more fully, and to have more time to spend with Courtni. I am nervous, excited, cautious, anxious, happy, and looking forward to where life (and our house) will take us next."


P.S. You should keep scrolling down because there's another new post but I forgot to post it on Facebook...it's about our trip to Arches, Vegas, and our first days as Californians again :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!