Thawing Out in Idaho Falls

Well haaay y'all!! Ryan and I have been busy working and playing and I've just found a few minutes to tell y'all about it. So far, so good here in ol' Idaho. I just finished my 7th week here and we've nestled in quite nicely. I'm really enjoying my job and we've made some really great friends here. We'll be so sad to leave them!

So, Idaho Falls is tiny (compared to every other city we've lived in) so it only took us a few weeks to check all the "touristy" things off of our list. It -literally- took TWO days to run into someone we knew at the mall. Idaho Falls is like Temple, TX style small town where everyone knows everyone and their mama. It's been kinda fun being back in a small town. It's really quiet here, even in the middle of a weekday. We rarely hear sirens or loud drunk people making their way down the sidewalk. It's a little weird. But also nice. But also were anxious to get back to a big city! My recruiter has been unofficially looking for my next placement but no where for sure just yet. I love this part of travel nursing! I can't wait to find out where we're going next!

After visiting all two museums, "downtown", and the mall we starting venturing out to other areas of Idaho. We've taken a few day drives, gone skiing with friends, visited a hot springs, and spent the night in a yurt in Boise. Tomorrow we're driving to see Shoshone Falls, the Niagara of the West, and last week Ryan booked our hotel in Yellowstone! FYI: If you're looking into visiting this area just know that outdoor things don't open until late May, even June! Yellowstone was the sole reason I took this assignment and we were almost going to miss it. A few roads open by mid May but the whole park isn't open to vehicles until June. It's nutzo.

Side story: So there's a Texas Roadhouse about a mile and a half from our apartment. SCORE! We've gone there twice so far and it's always busy (because it's delicious).  It's nice to have some temporary homesickness relief  and go somewhere that reminds me so much of home. However. It's bizarre how kitschy it feels in Idaho versus Texas. In Texas I never thought the birthday "yeehaws" sounded off or out of place. The decor seemed completely normal. But in Idaho after the 5th birthday yeehaw it felt like I had an out of body experience and saw how Idahoans (and probably other people) see Texans. What in the world?! All of a sudden a place that felt so familiar felt like a hardcore themed restaurant that you'd find in Vegas or something. Anyway, just throwing that out there. Texas Roadhouses outside of Texas are still delicious...but weird.

SCENES FROM THE ROAD...AND IDAHO FALLS

Mostly frozen lake-As a native Texan I'm still amazed by this.
White...everywhere...
We hit up four states at one time!
Mountain -peaking- through the clouds...get it :)

Had to blow this one up-this is THE falls of Idaho Falls...completely frozen. That's a river under that white stuff.
Sportsman Park

More photos to come! I can't wait to share more of Idaho with y'all---especially y'all southerners. It's hard to believe that Texas and Idaho are part of the same country. Driving here was like going back in time. We left Texas when it was sunny and about 80 degrees in February. As we got closer to Idaho Falls it got colder, snowy, and these folks still had their Christmas up! I felt like we traveled back in time to December. I actually really enjoyed having a snowy end to our warm winter beginning. 

Welp, I just finished my 8th shift in 10 days and my bed is calling. See y'all in the morning!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Be a Happy Traveler PART II

MY FIRST BLOG! EEK!

Hello Chi Town!